Saturday, September 1, 2012

ISAAC


Today is the first of September.  I sit here and look over the past days and give thanks.  We did not lose electricity, telephone service, but we did lose our cable connection.  After Hurricane Betsy, my dear mother in law, who was flooded by the waters of that storm, bought a console that provided radio support and record playing ability.  We have not been able to part with it over the years.  On that we were able to listen to Bob Breck and the staff of WVUE-TV as they gave their reports and updates.  To the staff of WVUE and those of other stations, who were separated from their loved ones in this emergency, go our profound thanks for their acts of courage and dedication to the people of this community

We give thanks for the governor’s actions, the mayors and presidents of the various cities and parishes of this state for their immediate reaction to the impending storm and that which happened afterwards.  To the first responders and those who manned the pumps, etc., who put their lives in danger, go our thanks also. 

To those who have lost family members go our prayers and hope that their grief may be lessened by the Almighty that they believe in and their lost ones may rest in peace.  To those who have lost their homes and property also go our prayers that they will be able to recover quickly also and that the government will assist them in that recovery.  Rhett and I suffered from two minor leaks but substantial damage to our trees. 

I sit here this morning looking at news on the cell phone that I got recently as a gift for my birthday.  You can always learn new things.  I check the news on it also.  I hear and see the complaints of many but realize that the various utility companies and cable systems are doing their best to bring back the utilities and services that we need.  I remember the 1947 hurricane that came over Key West and how long it took to recover then.  I remember the building of the levees afterwards and the movement forward ever since.  It is time to stop the blame game, dears, and to start to demand progress for all areas that have been affected by Isaac.  We have learned new lessons with this storm and we must react through our elected officials accordingly. 

We still believe in a new New Orleans, in which people of all ancestries and faiths can work together for improvements of all kinds.  We must learn from the past and build a better future.  My, oh my, dears, I am still reading two books – The Last Madam and The Accidental City.  I remember when I could read a book so quickly but today it takes me a bit longer.

May the Almighty in which you believe give you courage and the bravery to go forward and may all of us unite in an effort to bring forth the improvements which our communities need.

No comments:

Post a Comment